13.7.05

The City of Dreadful Night

Thinking about things I've read years ago reminded me of James Thomson. This is the 19th century Thomson, not the nice pastoral 18th century James Thomson. I remember coming across a reference to The City of Dreadful Night in an anthology and immediately rushing to the library. I may have read it all in one sitting. I was the first person to check the book out since 1920 something or other. Here's an excerpt to add a little shadow to the July sun:

The City is of Night; perchance of Death
   But certainly of Night; for never there
Can come the lucid morning's fragrant breath
   After the dewy dawning's cold grey air:
The moon and stars may shine with scorn or pity
The sun has never visited that city,
   For it dissolveth in the daylight fair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home